A Brief History of Trinity Church
Trinity Mission was established by Bishop D. S. Tuttle in 1878, the 3rd Episcopal Church in Montana. There has, from time to time, been a shared ministry with other missions and churches in the area. Some 38 clergy have served here during the more tha a century of Trinity’s existence.
During 90 of the years of growth and change, the Trinity Guild was a stronghold on consistent support and leadership. Three and four generations of several pioneer families have been and are members of the very special little church. We have an active Episcopal Church Women organization.
This building was constructed in 1902.
- The round window was a gift from the children in the valley and most of the furnishings came from old St. Paul’s when the new stone church was built in Virginia City.
- The “George Washington Cross” came by riverboat and freight wagon as a present to Bishop Tuttle from his home in New York City. It, too, was passed on to Trinity in 1902 and is one of our treasures.
Trinity was granted Parish status in 1986 and is now one of 38 parishes in the Diocese of Montana.
Trinity’s ministry of hospitality extends a warm welcome to members, visitors, and travelers. We are famous for our Sunday morning coffee hours. Our doors are always open–come worship with us.